Research results from specialists across the Great Plains, along with grower interviews provide information on proso millet varieties, weed control, cost of production, and marketing. Updates from the 1995 edition include new sections on water use and yield and growth rate. Under the harvesting section, information has been added about harvesting with a stripper header.
Also new are seven farmer-to-farmer interviews where proso growers share their experiences with the crop, including why they grow it and how they grow and harvest it. The growers are from Colorado, western Nebraska, Wyoming, and South Dakota. Published by University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension, with expertise from Colorado State University, South Dakota State University, the University of Wyoming and the USDA-ARS Central Great Plains Research Station, this 20-page guide offers resources on a full range of proso millet topics. Topics include seed selection, planting and emergence issues, how proso millet fits into various crop rotations, selecting and preparing the field, growth rate, combating weeds, harvesting and marketing.
Research charts include:
- · Proso millet production
- · Feed value of corn, proso millet, grain sorghum and wheat in beef cattle
- · Nitrogen recommendations for proso millet
- · Proso millet grain yield following four different recrop strategies after the loss of winter wheat to hail
- · Phosphorus and Potassium recommendations for proso millet
8 1/2" x 11"; 20 pages